Home > Old School Picture of the Week > Harmar School rubber drive, 1940s
Harmar School rubber drive, 1940s
By Michael Summers
Fort Wayne Reader
A group of children collect rubber in a drive at Harmar School during WWII.
Because of possible blackouts, energy usage, and the somber attitude of the time, the giant sign of General Electric at Broadway and Taylor remained dark until June 15, 1945, after the end of the war in Europe. The huge, lighted displays of Wolf and Dessauer had also been discontinued. War drives brought about the collection of all types of metal, paper, and even cooking fat. More money from defense and related industries meant more money in the pockets of most residents. But there were fewer things to buy. The country enacted strict rationing of all types of products to supply soldiers and the military.
Excerpt from Allen County History Book manuscript , essay “War and Prosperity; Fort Wayne 1940 – 1960”
Photo courtesy of The History Center/Allen County-Fort Wayne Historical Society