Home > Old School Picture of the Week > North Side High School – Circa 1928

North Side High School – Circa 1928

By Randy Harter

Fort Wayne Reader


With the crowding of Central High School downtown, South Side High School was built in 1922, followed by North Side High School rising in 1927 north of town along the east side of the St. Joseph River. The school was designed by local architect Charles Weatherhog who also designed Central High School, the Anthony Hotel, and the Noll Mansion on Fairfield. The centrally domed structure featured an indoor swimming pool, gymnasium, and what is arguably still today Fort Wayne Community Schools’ most beautiful auditorium.

North Side underwent extensive restoration and expansion in 2002 and at over 400,000 square feet is the system’s largest school in area. North Siders will see that the football field has changed from a North/South to an East/West layout since this image was made in the late 1920’s. Note at top right across Parnell Avenue part of the old Indiana School for Feeble Minded Youth (as it was called then), and at bottom left, just a wee bit of the old Centlivre Brewery peeking out.

(Image Courtesy ACPL)

Randolph L. Harter is a Fort Wayne historian and author of two books on local history.

Be the first to rate this story!
1 2 3 4 5
FWR Archive | Contact Us | Advertise | Add Fort Wayne Reader news to your website |
©2018 Fort Wayne Reader. All rights Reserved.

©2018 Fort Wayne Reader. All rights Reserved.